Tax Services and Representation

Tax Preparation Services

Gary P. Ruchin, CLU, ChFC, CFP®, AIF®, EA dba Ruchin & Associates, LLC has been preparing state and federal income taxes since 1986 and has been enrolled to practice before the Internal Revenue Service since 1996.

Gary P. Ruchin, CLU, ChFC, CFP®, AIF®, EA dba Ruchin & Associates, LLC offers a variety of tax services to its clients in addition to the preparation of the federal income and state income tax returns, including:

  • Partnership Returns (Internal Revenue Service Form 1065)
  • Trust and Fiduciary Returns (Internal Revenue Service Form 1041)
  • Decedent Tax Returns (706 - Estate Tax Returns)
  • State and Federal Estate Tax Returns (Internal Revenue Service Form 706 and CT706 and CT706NT).
  • State and Federal Gift Tax Returns (Internal Revenue Service Form 709 and CT-709)
  • Probate Administration
  • Past Due Returns

Other services provided by Gary P. Ruchin, CLU, ChFC, CFP®, AIF®, EA dba Ruchin & Associates, LLC include:

  • Assist with the various forms required for administration of an estate for probate in Connecticut, including the Initial Inventory to the Final Inventory.
  • Preparation of the CT-706 and the CT-706NT for estates.
  • Provide client representation with either State of Connecticut Department of Revenue Service or Internal Revenue Service disputes. This can include:
    • Client Audits (including correspondence audits and face-to-face meetings) with Internal Revenue Service representatives
    • Assisting in replying to Internal Revenue Service correspondence
    • Preparation of past due tax returns
    • Filing amended federal income tax and state income tax returns
    • Other Department of Revenue Service and Internal Revenue Service resolution issues
    • Assistance in negotiating with tax authorities

What is an Enrolled Agent?

An Enrolled Agent (EA) is a federally-authorized tax practitioner who has technical expertise in the field of taxation and who is empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before all administrative levels of the Internal Revenue Service for audits, collections, and appeals.  All candidates are subjected to a rigorous background check conducted by the IRS.

What does the term “Enrolled Agent” mean?

“Enrolled” means to be licensed to practice by the federal government, and “Agent” means authorized to appear in the place of the taxpayer at the IRS.  Only Enrolled Agents, attorneys, and CPAs may represent taxpayers before the IRS.  The Enrolled Agent profession dates back to 1884 when, after questionable claims had been presented for Civil War losses, Congress acted to regulate persons who represented citizens in their dealings with the U.S. Treasury Department.

How can Enrolled Agent help me?

Enrolled Agents advise, represent, and prepare tax returns for individuals, partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts, and any entities with tax-reporting requirements.  Enrolled Agents’ expertise in the continually changing field of taxation enables them to effectively represent taxpayers audited by the IRS.

What are the differences between Enrolled Agents and other tax professionals?

Only Enrolled Agents are required to demonstrate to the IRS their competence in matters of taxation before they may represent a taxpayer before the IRS.  Unlike attorneys and CPAs, who may or may not choose to specialize in taxes, all Enrolled Agents specialize in taxation.  Enrolled Agents are the only taxpayer representatives who receive their right to practice from the U.S. government (CPAs and attorneys are licensed by the states).

Why should I choose an Enrolled Agent who is a member of the National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA)?

The principal concern of the National Association of Enrolled Agents and its members is honest, intelligent and ethical representation of the financial position of taxpayers before the governmental agencies.  Members of NAEA must fulfill continuing professional education requirements that exceed the IRS’ required minimum.  In addition, NAEA members adhere to a stringent Code of Ethics and Rules of Professional Conduct of the Association, as well as the Treasury Department’s Circular 230 regulations.  NAEA members belong to a strong network of experienced, well-trained tax professionals who effectively represent their clients and work to make the tax code fair and reasonably enforced.

How can I find an Enrolled Agent?

The easiest and fastest way to locate an Enrolled Agent in your area is to visit  The ‘Find an EA’ function located on the home page will allow you to search instantly by locality or specialty.  You can also call 800-424-4339, the EA referral service.  This is an unattended service, but you can request to receive your response by email, fax or mail and all calls are answered within 2 business days.  You might also want to check in your local yellow pages under ‘Tax Preparation’, and look for the phrase ‘Enrolled Agent, Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers before the IRS’ or the ‘EA’ credential following the professional’s name.